Brown’s Wharf is an existing mixed-use development in the historic Fells Point neighborhood of Baltimore City. The property is a combination of buildings, some dating from the 1800’s with the most recent addition in 1988. The 104,000 square feet of leasable space, located on the popular cobble-stone Thames Street, is comprised of office, retail and dining.
Floura Teeter collaborated with a team of architects and environmental graphic designers tasked to update and re-brand this “one-of-a-kind and irreplaceable property.”
The goal of the vision plan was to create a unified street, pedestrian and water presence for Brown’s Wharf, which occupies a significant stretch of Baltimore’s waterfront. Improvements highlight the historic characteristics of the property with a healthy, but restrained, injection of modern detail. The design includes upgrades to hardscape, accenting the updated office entry, and energizing a neglected pedestrian-way, Browns’ Alley. New lighting elements eliminate dated fixtures; new site furnishing was proposed for phased replacement of existing benches, planters, café tables and chairs, and trash and recycling receptacles; and bike racks, covered storage shelters, and ‘fix-it’ stations are proposed throughout the site.
The entire plan was coordinated with the environmental graphic team to maximize wayfinding efforts and establish a unified identity to the Brown’s Wharf site.
Project Category: Hospitality & Mixed Use
Location: Baltimore, MD
Client: Workshop Development
Design Team: Younts Design, Inc.
Project Costs: $2,000,000